Friday, January 12, 2018

Week 2: FIRE

November 20, 2017
Week 2: FIRE

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

If you only decided to read this because the subject was FIRE, then my evil  plan worked! Mwahahaha!

In all seriousness, though, I started smelling smoke last night at around eleven and couldn't find it anywhere in the apartment, so I woke up Soeur Bennett and we sniffed around and realized it was coming from outside. We couldn't see any flames so we went back to bed. About half an hour later someone rang our doorbell, and told us that an apartment in the building RIGHT behind us was on fire. He said to be pay attention to the smoke but that we could stay. So we went back to bed again, but it got smokier and smokier and was pretty freaky. We put our shoes and coats by our beds just in case. But it never got hard to breathe or anything, and our smoke alarm never went off, so we stayed. The fire's out now, but it still smells like smoke downstairs. Eek!

It has been a super fantastic week! I'm meeting SO MANY people and it's hard to keep them all straight. For instance, Sunday morning I asked a woman I didn't recognize what her name was and she looked at me like I was a weirdo. Turns out she was the mother of a family we'd had a lesson with the night before. Oops. (In my defense, we were only there for 10 minutes, and they'd all had towels on their heads.)

Also, I found more persimmons! They're only 29 cents each right now so I've been eating lots of them. Yum. Only they call the khakis here, which is funny, because they're not khaki. Nor would I ever choose to use them as pants.

Speaking of delicious, we had a fantastic lunch yesterday with the Famille Taie, who are super awesome. He is the Branch Mission Leader, and he helps us a LOT. Anyway, they fed us escargot on baguettes, poisson cru, and Tahitian-style chicken curry. Oh my goodness it was so good. Escargot taste a lot like shellfish. (Except it's hard to forget that they're snails when you're pulling them out of a snail shell.) But they're super yummy!

Some sad news is that Terii's work schedule changed and he couldn't come to church Sunday, so he has to wait another week to be baptized, even though he was going to church every week in Tahiti! But he plans to come this Sudnay so next week should be good for baptism :)

Sebastian, the ami we met last Saturday, is AWESOME! He is really interested and is reading all the scriptures we ask  him to, is praying every day, and wants to come to church next Sunday. We have another rdv with him this week and I'm so excited!

The work here is so good. We had some cool experiences finding where I asked people who said they weren't interested if I could share a quick scripture with them. The ones that said yes invariably ended up talking to us for a long time, and shared a lot of their feelings about God, and one invited us back for a lesson. I know there is power in the Book of Mormon! It is an amazing tool to soften the hearts of everyone we meet, AND ourselves. Don't ever stop reading it!

Also, Soeur Bennet dropped her tablet when we were running to catch a train  (because the platform got switched), the second screen broke and it looks like it's been infected with the black plague. The ink slowly spread across the screen and now you can only see the very top. She didn't even bring it with us to....

LUXEMBOURG, where we're having exchanges!! P day officially ends in five minutes so I'm going to go teach with Soeur Miguel, a sister training leader who's super awesome! So is Luxembourg! It's so cute and quaint and people are speaking so many languages! I met a sweet Buddhist au pair on the train who asked for my contact info so she could talk to me again and gave me a big hug. 

We also saw the Duke's palace and went to the chocolate house, where I got a piece of cake that was mostly rasberry mousse, so now I feel totally ill. I need to go now, but I love you guys! Tell BYU XC they are SOOOO legit! Also Tyler Day! Woohooo!

Love,
Soeur Alice Jensen





No comments:

Post a Comment